Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Organizing Our Recycling Center

We recycle at the jauberry house. If you live in Jackson/Wilson, you recycle. If you do not recycle the townspeople will chase you out with pitch forks and torches blazing. 
When I first moved here and had people over, they brought beer. As we were drinking someone finished their beer, in a glass bottle, and asked, "where is your recycling?". I said, "I do not recycle." You would have thought I said I did not believe in democracy or that I thought the earth was flat. Then Chris moved here, we had even more people over, and it became abundantly clear that we would have to start recycling or be chased out of town.  So we started recycling. Then I understood why people were so upset. There are so many items that can be recycled and not placed in our ever growing landfills. It was a real eye opener, and I am glad we moved to this granola town that forced us to follow their local custom of recycling. 
Our recycling system was pretty archaic. We had several grocery bags all over the floor in our garage and each item, (i.e. plastic #1, glass) went into each bag. This took up so much garage space and was not the most creative thing. We have been looking for a vertical system, but the containers are never big enough, then we found these Suncast 18 gallon containers:


They were perfect, so we bought six and installed them in our garage on Monday. We also have a three tired white tray system for the three different types of paper so we do not have to sort them at the recycling place. We are just a recycling center of greatness. If only my twenty-three year old self could see me now, she would not be impressed, she would wonder why I caved into the townspeople.



No comments:

Post a Comment