When Chris joined me in Wyoming five years ago this month, we knew we wanted an animal to love. There is the wonderful Animal Adoption Center in town, and we knew we wanted to rescue an animal. We love dogs, but unfortunately we could only have a cat, so one Saturday in June 2006 we went on a search for a cat. We sat in the "Kitty City" for at least half an hour observing all the cats, but we were in love with one from the first minute we sat down. He was grey, green eyed, and so charming, we knew that fate had brought us together. The shelter had named him "Sal", but we named him Gorgeous George after the boxer in Snatch. He was scared at first, but warmed up to his new house and us quickly.
He loved us, and he loved all people. He was so friendly and you were going to love him whether you liked cats or not, he was going to change your mind.
When I was pregnant with Oscar, he was obsessed with my stomach. He knew the first month and drove me crazy always wanting to be right ton top of my stomach. He was not so happy once Oscar came into this world. He was not happy to be kicked out of our bed (Oscar shared a room with us the first three months) and he was not happy to share the attention of mom and dad. He gained at least a pound the first three months, but eventually came around to the fact that Oscar was not going anywhere.
Over the past two and half years their relationship has come along way. George would even let Oscar pick him up and pretty much do whatever he wanted to poor George. They both really loved each other.
George also loved being outside. He would love to lay in the sun, catch mice, and just hang out. He did not like the winters so much because he was trapped inside the house.
When we moved into our first house last month, it came with a cat door into the garage, and George was so happy. We thought it was meant for us: Chris, me, Oscar, & George. It was perfect for our great family. Unfortunately it was not meant to be perfect as long as I would have liked. When we were moving in our new furniture on June 11, George escaped from the garage. We do not let him stay out at night, and usually he will come back home before bed. We looked for him, called him, shook his food bowl, but no George. We went to bed and figured he would be waiting by the front door in the morning. No George. Now over a week later, I am having to face the reality that George is not coming back. Unfortunately we have a lot of predators that live in Wyoming and one of them probably got him, which is why we did not let him stay out at night. Even as I write this entry I still hope he comes back, but I will be hoping that for a long time. We miss George so much and our hearts are broken. I am only comforted in knowing that we gave him a great five years and I hope we showed him as much love as he showed us. We love you Georgie Cat.

Oh, I'm so sorry. You must be heartbroken. George was so lucky to have you guys for as long as he did. I'm certain he felt loved!
ReplyDelete