I have had several jauberry fans wonder what Oscar's room looks like, so I will take you on a tour and highlight some of my favorite pieces.
I love that Oscar's room is a collection of gifts and crafts from all the people who love him. I wanted a really contemporary nursery at first, but I really like the more eclectic nursery it has turned out to be. The cephalopod art (light blue rectangle on the wall) which Tara' and Billy gave Oscar is by a New Orleans artist. The giraffe art by Kal Barteski on his bookcase was given to him by Whitney and says "Oscar is amazing". There is a magnetic wooden train that spells out O-S-C-A-R, teddy bears, and a photo of Aunt Hannah & Tara'.
The other side of the nursery has a cherry crib and a glider rocking chair that I got for $10 at a garage sale and had re-upholstered (I love great finds). The rocker holds a pillow my Aunt Almyra crafted and a baptismal pillow from Christal. The photos on the other side of the crib are of Oscar at different stages. This location will one day house a great project I am working on and hope to have finished before 2010.
The embroidery above the rocker is probably my favorite piece in the whole nursery. As you can see it is of Sesame Street and all the great characters. My mom embroidered this when she was pregnant with me in 1982. I love it so much, and it has Oscar the Grouch.
At the annual Teton Art Walk, we found an artist, Kevin Eslinger, who did interpretations of the Sesame Street characters and others. We were looking at the giclees he had available and found Oscar! It might look a little dark for a nursery, but we had to have it.
Just to clarify, we did not name Oscar after the grouch, we named him after Chris' grandfather. I do not want anyone reading jauberry to think our next child will be Cookie, Elmo, Bert, or Ernie.
I love all the sweet additions to the room... and the embroidery done by your mom is such a nice touch.
ReplyDeleteps...i was nicknamed at the young age of 3 "Bird" after big bird. i have had a cartoon/puppet love affair with him ever since! My child will love Big Bird and all his friends...I have no doubt! I love it!
ReplyDelete